The Deschutes Land Trust works cooperatively with landowners to conserve land for wildlife, scenic views, and local communities. We are committed to carrying out this mission in the most ethical, transparent and honorable manner. To help ensure we meet this commitment, we adopt the following principles:
1. The following core values will guide us in developing ethical policies and practices:
- Effective – We are passionate about our mission and professional and pragmatic in carrying it out.
- Collaborative – We cooperate with landowners and communities, and partner with other stakeholders.
- Local – We are responsive to local needs and dedicated to building sustainable local communities by connecting people to nature. Our success engenders hope and encourages citizens to become more engaged within their communities.
- Enduring – We are building our organization to lead conservation efforts for generations to come. We seek to become an institution that has broad community respect and support on conservation matters.
2. We will maintain a working environment that values respect, fairness and integrity.
3. All staff, board members and volunteers of the Land Trust will act with honesty, integrity, and openness when representing the Land Trust.
4. Staff will respect the time and energy commitments board members have made to the organization. Staff will respect the structure, role and responsibilities of the Board of Directors, provide board members with accurate, up to date information, and uphold and implement the Board’s decisions.
5. Board members will respect the dedication, experience and professionalism of staff, as well as the role of staff in actually implementing the organization’s mission.
6. Our organization and operations will demonstrate positive leadership exemplified by open communication, creativity, dedication, and compassion.
7. As a charitable organization, the Land Trust serves an important public interest and, in pursuing its mission, will act in accordance with both the letter and spirit of the law.
8. We will demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity, truthfulness and honesty in all our activities in order to inspire confidence and trust in our organization. Staff and board members will act in the public interest and not for personal gain. We will use our Conflicts of Interest procedures to avoid, identify and resolve conflicts of interest and ensure that conflicts of interest do not influence our decisions or actions.
9. We will respect and protect private or privileged information we receive in the course of our work. The Land Trust will not rent, sell or trade this information, including lists of our donors and supporters.