Breaking Campaign News: The Land Trust received a major gift of $530,000 to help with the Campaign for Whychus Creek! Help us raise the final $400,000! Donate today!
For more than 20 years, the Deschutes Land Trust has worked to protect the forests, meadows, and creeks that Central Oregonians—people and wildlife—need to thrive.
During that time, we’ve directed much of our energy toward conserving Central Oregon's Whychus Creek. Why? We are inspired by a vision of a protected and revitalized Whychus Creek—an ecological and social centerpiece of our community.
To date, the Land Trust has successfully conserved:
- eight miles of Whychus Creek and
- 2,200 acres of land surrounding Whychus Creek
- salmon and steelhead, songbirds and eagles, deer and elk.
- And, the people of Central Oregon.
Now is the time to realize our conservation vision for Whychus Creek. Be a part of The Campaign for Whychus Creek! Donate today.
About The Campaign for Whychus Creek
- What we will accomplish
- The time is now
- How you can help
- Giving Opportunities
- Read our Campaign brochure
- Lend your voice to Whychus Creek
- Read press about the Campaign
- Land Conservation: We are working with private landowners to conserve the remaining meadows and canyons on Whychus Creek. In the first year of the Campaign, the Land Trust protected two new parcels of land along Whychus Creek: Aspen Hollow Preserve and the addition to Whychus Canyon Preserve. In the second year of the Campaign we finalized an agreement to purchase the 1,250 acre Rimrock Ranch downstream from Whychus Canyon Preserve.
- Land Stewardship: We will ensure permanent stewardship of those lands so they can be returned to ecological health and remain healthy in the future. The recent creek restoration of Whychus Canyon Preserve is a great example of how long-term stewardship can create a healthier habitat for wildlife.
- Community Engagement: We will provide access and learning opportunities for the community along Whychus Creek.
Having hiked the trails and explored Whychus Canyon Preserve with my family, I continue to be impressed by the Deschutes Land Trust's systematic approach to conservation. It's no surprise that they've developed a sterling reputation for the quality of their conservation work to go with their national accreditation.
~ Amy Tykeson, CEO, BendBroadband
Today, with so much already accomplished, we can see the finish line. We must be prepared to conserve Whychus Creek when the opportunity arises. The Campaign for Whychus Creek is designed to complete our core conservation strategy, ensure permanent stewardship, and to make these special places available to you and your children...and for generations to come. Show your support for Whychus Creek and speak for the creek today!
I've watched the Deschutes Land Trust for nearly 20 years and continue to be impressed by their vision, patience and strategic approach to land conservation. The Land Trust is a vital organization in the community and is committed to serving our region for generations to come.
~ Mike Hollern, CEO, Brooks Resources
The Land Trust seeks to raise $12-15 million in public and private funds to ensure the long-term protection of lower Whychus Creek. Your support will fund:
- Land Conservation: Approximately 75% of funds raised will support the acquisition of high priority lands along Whychus Creek.
- Land Stewardship: Approximately 20% of funds raised will ensure the long-term health of the land we conserve.
- Community Engagement: Approximately 5% of funds raised will provide opportunities for the community to personally connect with Whychus Creek
Already made a donation and want to do more? Here are some other ideas:
- Host a house party and invite the Land Trust to come share about the Campaign.
- Invite the Land Trust speak at your next book group, neighborhood gathering, or service club meeting.
- Write a letter to the editor or an opinion piece for the local paper.
- Share the Campaign with your family and friends and encourage them to get involved. #speakforthecreek
Contact the Land Trust if you'd like to help. We are always open to ideas!
- Cash gifts: Donations to the Deschutes Land Trust are tax-deductible as allowed by law. Donations of cash allow the Land Trust ultimate flexibility in implementing our campaign goals. Donate online now.
- Business contributions: Donations to the Deschutes Land Trust are tax-deductible as allowed by law. The first $10,000 in business donations to the Campaign for Whychus Creek were matched by Deschutes Brewery.
- Pledges: Donors may choose to pledge an amount now, and in turn, spread payments over 1, 2 or 3 years. Pledges allow donors maximum flexibility and can be tailored to suit individual giving needs.
- Gifts of Stock: The Land Trust gladly accepts gifts of appreciated stock. In most cases, the full, fair market value of the donated stock is deductible, while capital gains taxes can be reduced. (Please consult with your tax advisor.)
- Bequests: If you’d like to support our long-term vision for Whychus Creek via your estate planning, please let us know. Bequests are a great way to match your desire to leave behind a legacy in support of Whychus Creek. (The Land Trust will count bequest intentions at face value.)
- Other Planned Gifts: There are many other types of gifts which can support the Campaign, and also meet your individual financial needs. Please consult with your tax or financial advisor to determine which giving strategy is best for you.
To discuss your options, please contact Brad Chalfant, Executive Director at (541) 330-0017.