Thanksgiving is a time to remember the things we have to be grateful for. It's our special time to give thanks... not just for the obvious, like food, but for the thousands of fortunate moments, the multitude of blessings that we receive each year. Wondering what some of the Land Trust staff are thankful for this year? Here are some of the things for which we are thankful. What are you thankful for this year?
Zak Boone, Associate Director:
I’m thankful to be a part of an amazing organization, the Deschutes Land Trust, and thankful for the more than 1200 members who support the crucial role of land conservation in our community!
Pat Cohen, Office Manager:
For family and friends and good health and the usual stuff … and the Land Trust and our staff, volunteers and members … and the beginning of the season of cookies, carols, and eggnog lattes … and so much more.
Amanda Egertson, Stewardship Director:
Having just emerged from a month in the field – working on stream re-meandering at Camp Polk Meadow and pine restoration at the Metolius Preserve, this year I am thankful for the basic elements of water and fire and their inherent restorative powers … providing nourishment and life renewed to a old floodplain and forest.
Sarah Mowry, Outreach Manager:
- Awesome volunteer tour leaders! These folks give so much and know so much! I always learn more when I head out with them.
- Awesome volunteers who help pull weeds, stuff envelopes, build trails and help in the office!
- Beautiful lands that keep me energized and committed to our mission.
- Heritage turkeys for pushing my cooking limits! Local turkey farmers…for growing my turkey.
- Small hands that like to help decorate cookies with LOTS of sprinkles.
- Husbands who are partners in crime AND who let me sleep in on the weekend!
Karyn Verzwyvelt, Outreach Associate:
As both a student and an employee of the Land Trust, I'm thankful for down time, time outside, time to create, and time with friends and family. I'm thankful to be able to continue to do meaningful work with such a great organization. And I'm thankful for the community of supporters we have in Central Oregon and beyond. I'm also thankful for my health when I know so many who are ill. And I definitely think champagne and Linzer Torte also deserve a mention--thank goodness for those things on Thanksgiving!