Land Trust hosts historical societies for a tour

Mar 09, 2018
The Deschutes County Historical Society and Three Sisters Historical Society toured the Hindman Springs portion of Camp Polk Meadow Preserve.


The Land Trust was pleased to host a recent tour for two local historical societies at Camp Polk Meadow Preserve. The Deschutes County Historical Society and the Three Sisters Historical Society toured the Hindman Springs portion of the Preserve in mid-February.

The root cellar from the historic Hindman house. Photo: Deschutes County Historical Society.
The root cellar from the historic Hindman house. Photo: Deschutes County Historical Society.
The Land Trust wanted to share the work done thus far to preserve and tell the history of the Hindman Springs area. Stewardship director Amanda Egertson and volunteer Carol Wall led the group on a tour of the recent barn stabilization work that is helping preserve one of Deschutes County's oldest structures. The Land Trust worked with contractors back in December to shore up the barn so it is now stable and safe for visitors. The Hindman barn was built in 1871 and was part of Hindman Station, a historic stopping place along the Santiam Wagon Road.

The group also learned about plans for interpretive signs and visited the site of the original Hindman house to see the only remaining portion of the house--the cold cellar. The Land Trust worked with crews to update the safety grate that covered the cellar and will install interpretive signs with photos and more details on the house in the coming months.

Many thanks to the Historical Societies for making the trek to Camp Polk on a cold winter day. Stay tuned for more on this exciting project!


Thanks as well to the Oregon Community Foundation Historic Trails Fund, the Roundhouse Foundation, the Laird Norton Foundation, East Cascade Audubon Society, and private donors for making the Hindman Springs Area Preservation and Restoration possible.


Learn more: